STRENGTH OF MATERIALS FOR MECHANICAL ENG
- To understand the concepts of stress, strain, principal stresses and principal planes.
- To study the concept of shearing force and bending moment due to external loads in determinate beams and their effect on stresses.
- To determine stresses and deformation in circular shafts and helical spring due to torsion.
- To compute slopes and deflections in determinate beams by various methods.
- To study the stresses and deformations induced in thin and thick shells.
What Will I Learn?
- Understand the concepts of stress and strain in simple and compound bars, the importance of principal stresses and principal planes.
- Understand the load transferring mechanism in beams and stress distribution due to shearing force and bending moment.
- Apply basic equation of simple torsion in designing of shafts and helical spring
- Calculate the slope and deflection in beams using different methods.
- Analyze and design thin and thick shells for the applied internal and external pressures
Topics for this course
STRENGTH OF MATERIALS FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERS
STRESS, STRAIN AND DEFORMATION OF SOLIDS ,TRANSVERSE LOADING ON BEAMS AND STRESSES IN BEAM , TORSION ,DEFLECTION OF BEAMS ,THIN CYLINDERS, SPHERES AND THICK CYLINDERS