Engineering Mathematics -1
The goal of this course is to achieve conceptual understanding and to retain the best traditions of traditional calculus. The syllabus is designed to provide the basic tools of calculus mainly for the purpose of modeling the engineering problems mathematically and obtaining solutions. This is a foundation course which mainly deals with topics such as single variable and multivariable calculus and plays an important role in the understanding of science, engineering, economics and computer science, among other disciplines.
What Will I Learn?
- Use both the limit definition and rules of differentiation to differentiate functions.
- Apply differentiation to solve maxima and minima problems.
- Evaluate integrals both by using Riemann sums and by using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
- Apply integration to compute multiple integrals, area, volume, integrals in polar coordinates, in addition to change of order and change of variables.
- Evaluate integrals using techniques of integration, such as substitution, partial fractions and integration by parts.
- Determine convergence/divergence of improper integrals and evaluate convergent improper integrals.
- Apply various techniques in solving differential equations.